This method can load up to a 1000 assets in a single operation and can be more efficient than manually adding many assets one by one. To bulk load assets you first need to download a New Inventory asset template, which is a spreadsheet specifically configured to help you create assets and upload them to TransAM. The overall bulk upload workflow is as follows:
- Download a template spreadsheet from TransAM.
- Edit the spreadsheet to define new assets that need to be inserted into the inventory.
- Save the spreadsheet with your changes.
- Upload the spreadsheet to TransAM.
- Check the processing logs to make sure that the assets were loaded correctly
Downloading a Template
- Click the Inventory icon on the Main Menu and select Bulk Updates -> Download Templates. You will be directed to the Download Template page.
- Click the drop down next to the Template Type label and select the New Inventory option.
- If you have access to multiple organizations, click the drop down next to the Organization label and select an organization for the template.
- Click the drop down next to the Asset Type label and select the type of asset you would like to add (Revenue Vehicles, Support Facilities, Rail Cars, Equipment, etc.).
- Click the Create Template button. After a few seconds, an Excel template will be created and a Download File button will appear.
- Click the download button and the template will be downloaded to your computer.
Editing the Spreadsheet
- The spreadsheet consists of categories that make up the asset detail page. These categories include: Type, Purchase, FTA Reporting, Characteristics, and Event Updates. Set Default values where applicable and enter the necessary required information for each asset.
- When you have finished updating the spreadsheet, save it to your computer or network.
- Note: the spreadsheet includes an Instructions tab which walks you through how to complete the template.
Uploading the Edited Spreadsheet
- Click the Inventory icon on the Main Menu and select Bulk Updates -> Upload Template. You will be directed to the New Template page.
- Click the drop-down next to the Spreadsheet Content label. Select New Inventory.
- If you have access to multiple organizations, click the drop down next to the Organization label and select the Organization for which the update is being performed.
- Click the "Choose File" button next to the Spreadsheet label. Select the spreadsheet that you previously downloaded from TransAM, edited, and saved.
- Click the Upload spreadsheet button. The file will be uploaded and you will be directed to the Bulk Updates table.
At this point, TransAM will process the file in the background and perform any updates to the inventory. Depending on how many rows were loaded, this process might take a few minutes. Accordingly, the TransAM tells you when background jobs are complete via the Notifications menu.
Checking Processing Logs
You can check on the progress of your upload by looking at the processing logs. To view the logs, choose Inventory->Bulk Updates to see a list of all spreadsheets imported by users in your agency. Choose the file you just uploaded:
- The left panel summarizes the file that was uploaded: the content, the upload user, date and time of the upload, and upload status.
- The Processing tab summarizes how many rows of information were found in the file, how many rows were processed, how many rows were replaced, and how many rows failed due to data problems.
- The Process Log reports every change that was made to the asset data, and itemizes every problem encountered along the way.
- The Updates tab summarizes each new asset and event that was successfully processed by the system. You can click on the asset or event link to navigate to their correlating detail pages.